TRAVEL TIPS FOR THOSE WHO TRAVEL AROUND KAMCHATKA or ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW GETTING READY FOR A KAMCHATKA TRIP
Kamchatkaisthe land washed by the rough northern seas and the great Pacific Ocean, land of volcanoes and geysers, crystal clear mountain rivers and forest lakes. Kamchatka plant life and wildlife are abundant and unique. This is a true frontier, the land of wild nature left untouched by humans. Andassuchitisunforgivingto recklessness and carelessness.
Please be safe while travelling around Kamchatka!
- REGISTER YOUR ROUTE AT THE SEARCH AND RESQUE SERVICE
- TRAVEL TOGETHER WITH A GROUP
- BE SURE TO HAVE RIGHT CLOTHES AND EQUIPMENT WITH YOU
- CARRY MEANS OF PROTECTIONS AGAINST WILD ANIMALS
- USE EXACT AND DETAILED GEOGRAPHICAL MAPS AND/OR A GPS-NAVIGATOR
- CARRY RELIABLE COMMUNICATION GEAR
- DONТT DISTURB WILD ANIMALS!
ATTENTION! BROWN BEARS IN THE AREA:
Ј Make loud noises when moving around in the woods
Ј It is best to travel in a group. If you have children with you Ц keep them with you at all times.
Ј Make camp at the open ground with a good view
Ј It is expressly forbidden to approach bear cubs. If you see them, go away as far as possible
Ј Avoid travelling in the tall grasses, choose your trails over open spots
Ј If you see a bear in the distance, carefully leave this place and go around it
Ј DonТt travel in the woods at dusk and at night. Bears are nocturnal animals!
Ј When trying to scare away the bear with shots, never shoot the bear itself
Ј DonТt run from the bear, slowly back away from it
Ј Never turn your back on the bear
Ј DonТt try to fish at bear fishing spots
Ј DonТt leave any trash, especially bad food, behind you. Take all the trash with you or burn it in the camp fire.
Ј DonТt leave burning fires behind. When you are ready to move on, cover the fire with ground or pour water on it till it fully stops smoldering.
- Assess your physical state and the state of your health. Be objective!
- Never go hiking or climbing alone, always as part of a group
- When ascending volcanoes keep distance from each other, climb at parallel trajectories or in a wide zig-zag
- When ascending try to step carefully, avoid loose stones and try not to send them falling down
- When travelling in the mountains never leave your chosen route, remember that avalanches are common in mountainous areas of Kamchatka!
- Try to remember as many landmarks as you can on the way. It will make it easier to go back if necessary.
- If you need help of firemen or rescuers, call 122 Цthe number is the same for all cell-phone operators.
- Backpack for personal items
- Trekking boots
- Dry shoes to wear in the camp: sneakers or sandals
- Woolen socks and cotton socks
- Long-sleeved shirts and t-shirts (3 or 4)
- Light cotton pants (shorts, knee breeches)
- A warm sweat suit or a sweater
- A warm and wind-resistant jacket for cold winds
- Rain jacket
- Thermal underwear
- Knitted woolen gloves for cold weather
- Hats for cold and warm weather.
Also: asetoftoiletries, atowel, personalfirst-aidkit, kitchenutensils (bowl, mug, spoon),
a knife, a flashlight, mosquito sprays, sunscreen, matches in a waterproof case, a tent, a sleeping bag, binoculars, a camera and a necessary amount of batteries.
Please take a satellite phone (in case you need to call in rescue services) and a valid health-insurance card with you.
Ascending volcanoes, rafting, skiing and snowboarding free-style down volcano slopes are considered extreme kinds of tourism and can produce health risks and sometimes even life-threatening situations.
By contacting Kamchatka tour operators, who will insure you are accompanied by a professional guide, you guarantee safety and success in your travel. It is highly recommended you use services of local tour companies and professional guides when planning extreme trips. Youcanseethewholelistoftouristcompaniesatwww.visitkamchatka.ru, under the title УTourist companiesФ.
REGISTERING YOUR ROUTE
Beforestartingthetripalltouristsarerecommendedtoregisteritinthesearchandrescueteam by phone or in person by filling out a route sheet.
Aroutesheetincludesthenumberoftouristsinthegroup, fullnameofthegroupleader, name, addressandphonenumbersofthetouristcompany, datesofthebeginningandendoftherouteandalsothestarting, intermediateandendpointsofthetrip. This information is entered into tourist group logbook.
If they receive a distress call from you or if you havenТt returned by the designated date, the search and rescue team starts rescue operation immediately.
You can register your tourist route with the search and rescue team at the following adress:
You can also call:
8 (4152) 41-03-95
Search and rescue team of the Civil defense and division:
Tel.: (4152) 41-03-95;
Fax: (4152) 27-65-60
УTourist information centerФ
Tel.: (4152) 307-330
TourismandExternal Communication Agency in KamchatskiyKrai
Tel/ Fax: (4152) 41-23-55
Ministry of the Russian Federation for Civil Defense, Emergency Management and Natural Disasters Response Headquarters in Kamchatskiy Krai
Tel: 8 (4152) 200-112
- FederalagencyformanagementtrainingincivilprotectionoftheMinistry of the Russian Federation for Civil Defense, Emergency Management and Natural Disasters Response Headquarters in KamchatskiyKrai
Tel: 8 (4152) 217-832
FEDERAL SECURITY SERVICE MAIN HEADQUARTERS IN KAMCHATSKIY KRAI
Hotline: 8 (4152) 41-25-78
FEDERAL SECURITY SERVICE(BORDER FORCES) IN KAMCHATSKIY KRAI
Postaladdress: 683032, KamchatskiyKrai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, pr. KarlaMarksa 1/1Tel.: 8 (4152) 43-94-16, 23-69-09
Fax: 8 (4152) 23-25-57
FEDERAL SECURITY SERVICE (BORDER FORCES, REGIONAL DEPARTMENTS) IN KAMCHATSKIY KRAI
In Elizovo: 8 (41531) 43-93-61
In Severo-Kurilsk: 43-96-60
On capeMayachniy: 43-95-83
In theestuaryoftheNalychevoriver: 43-96-48